(This project still needs a name.)
- Libre: Protocols that are free to implement, with free implementations
- Self-hosted: Be able to host your own server and keep control of your own data
- Secure/Private: Make use of encryption to prevent your messages being readable in transit by third-parties or server providers
- Light-weight: Push messaging that doesn't take its toll on your device (or on your server)
- Simple: Simple protocols for easy adoption
Push messaging can give you real-time notifications whilst consuming less power on your device, compared to every application maintaining an open connection at all times.
Current options don't allow you to stay in control of your data, and require that you use their servers and proprietary service clients.
Project Push is to be an alternative to Google Cloud Messaging.
I plan to do things in this order:
- Drafting (July 2018)
- Draft specification
- Community review
- Base Implementation
- Actual specification
- Reference implementations
- Widening Support
- Additional implementations of protocols (in other languages)
- Adding support to relevant, popular libre software